Volunteer Opportunity: Attorney Advisors for High School Mock Trial
Approximately 800 high school students across North Carolina participate in the NCAJ High School Mock Trial Competition each year, taking on the roles of witnesses and attorneys at February (regional) and March (State Final) competitions.
Teams of 7 to 9 students are co-coached by both a teacher coach and a volunteer attorney advisor. Competitions are judged by other practicing attorneys, sitting judges and other legal professionals.
NEED for more Diversity: Certain schools participate year after year. Diversity and access to programming is important to the North Carolina Mock Trial Program (NCMTP). We need to bring this program into diverse communities across our state to ensure EVERYONE can access the valuable life skills this program develops in our youth! Would you help us bring this important program into YOUR community by volunteering as an attorney coach at your local high school?
WHY you should help as an attorney advisor:
- –Teaching high school students will sharpen your trial skills and is a rewarding way to keep the Rules of Evidence fresh in your mind.
- –You will be inspired to see high school students develop a strong understanding of our justice system and hone important life skills such as critical thinking, public speaking, teamwork, and leadership abilities.
- –You will join a network of hundreds of other attorneys who support mock trial as presiding judges, scoring jurors, and regional coordinators – a stellar networking opportunity.
- –The NCMTP gives you all the teaching resources and guides you would need at https://ncmocktrial.org/resources/training-materials/
- –Many teams will be meeting virtually during the 2022-2023 year
- –Students will forever remember your mentoring them!
WHAT the role involves: We are looking for attorneys willing to reach out to their local high school principal and offer to help the school establish a team. Attorney advisors typically meet with students approximately 6 to 8 times (virtually or in person – up to you and the group)(supported by a local teacher coach) between October and early February (flexible, depending on availability).
NEXT Step: Please email Joyce Britt at email@example.com to tell us of your willingness to reach out to your local high school and help establish and coach a team; we’ll share resources with you.